Friday, September 10, 2010

Never Forget September 11


In about twelve hours, it will be exactly 9 years since that history-defining, tragic moment when terrorists attacked innocent civilians in New York. Where were you when you heard the news?

I was almost 13 years old, homeschooled and living with my three younger siblings and parents on a farm in Chehalis, WA. I was a huge baseball fan, and the Mariners were fast approaching a major-league-record 116 wins. There was a Mariners game that evening and as I sat in my bedroom that morning with my sister I was stoked to fill out another scorecard for that game.

My sister, Robin, who was 10 years old, went out through the living room to use the bathroom and when she came back, she said, "Dad wants you to come out to the living room." I asked her why and she shrugged, so we headed out to the living room and my dad had the TV hooked up to the roof antenna, which was unusual because we rarely watched TV. The first thing he said to me was "The baseball game is canceled tonight."

That whole day and the next day we watched TV, those same videos of the towers falling, the fire, and the planes over and over again.

So where were you when the world stopped turning, on that September day?

No comments:

Post a Comment