Saturday, September 25, 2010

Home is the Sailor


I was watching the videos on YouTube of Jessica Watson's homecoming to Sydney in May, and I noticed that her mother, as Jessica stepped off of Ella's Pink Lady, said "Home is the sailor, home from the sea." It was such a perfect line for the moment and I knew I had heard it from a poem before so I had to look it up to refresh my memory of it's origin. Turns out it is from a lovely Robert Lewis Stevenson poem, which I put here:


Requiem


Under the wide and starry sky

Dig the grave and let me lie

Gladly did I live and gladly die

And I laid me down with a will


This be the verse you 'grave for me

"Here he lies where he long'd to be;

Home is the sailor, home from the sea,

And the hunter, home from the hill."

No comments:

Post a Comment