Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Interesting people and UFO's


So since I am having trouble coming up with something to blog about out of my sometimes incredibly boring life, so I thought I might share with you a few of my more amusing stories of the interesting people I meet at work (and I'm not even talking about my co-workers!). I would to preface this by saying that in the event that these people have actual social or mental disabilities, that I am sorry for them and that I hope they get the help they need. I am not sharing this to ridicule them or even to make fun of them but simply because these stories amused me and I wanted to share them for the amusement of others. I am grateful for the interesting people that I meet on a day to day basis at my job because they counteract all of the jerks and idiots.

Also, I would like to point out that often times people of lower incomes or means are looked down upon and assumed to be dangerous, jerks, or terrible people but in my almost three year experience working customer service, I have found that generally they are kind, considerate and polite, while the real jerks are the rich or middle class snobs with two and a half kids who assume they are entitled to the world and view me as a robot sent to aid them in their every whim rather than an actual person. But back to the story.

So this first incident occurred about four or five months ago. Legion had just come out and a gentleman came in looking for it. He was probably about forty, nicely dressed and clean-shaven, and while probably not wealthy, he certainly wasn't homeless. We were all rented out of our copies and he asked me if I could suggest a similar movie. Legion is about an army of angels sent from heaven to destroy the earth, and since I generally do not watch movies like that, as they don't interest me much, I was having trouble coming up with a similar title. While I was thinking, the customer suddenly said, "That's true, you know." I was a bit confused and it must have showed, for he followed it up by saying, "I have a friend who can look through his night vision goggles and see the angels fighting in heaven." He stated this as though it was a well known but interesting fact. I must have raised my eyebrows slightly as I nodded, a bit taken a back. I changed the subject back to movies, since I didn't know what else to say after that statement. After a minute or two, he very conversationally said, "I saw my first UFO last year!" just as someone would say, "I got to go to the Grand Canyon," or something. I said, "Oh...really?" trying not to be rude but really not knowing what to say. He went on to say, "Yeah, I was down in the Arizona desert, looking for some, and suddenly there it was! It was hovering above the desert and I was all by myself that night so I used my brain waves to communicate telepathically with the aliens and I told them to come back the next night so that I could bring my friend out. They said they would, so the next night I came back with my friend and they came back and he got to see them too!"

I nodded and said, "Oh cool!" as though he were talking about a normal vacation, and he thanked me very politely and left. I have met a few people who have thought they could talk to aliens but most of them were completely nuts. He seemed totally normal, coherent and intelligent, so who knows? Maybe he was telling the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment