Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Biding my time til November...

So I was re-checking out the book that Chris Baty (founder of NaNoWriMo and God to all insane novelists) wrote called "No Plot, No Problem, and I remembered all the pitfalls that over planning can cause in the noveling process. I began to get worried that I had already overplanned for my NaNo novel (I am a very paranoid novelist) and there is still a lot of time left before November. I knew that if I didn't find another project for myself to work on until then, that I would very likely over plan.

So I decided to go back and begin the editing process on the book I wrote in June/July of this year. It's called Runaway Train and it's a sort of post-apocalyptic romance story. I hadn't looked at it at all since I wrote it and so I was a bit nervous to open it up and see if there was anything salvagable among it. The first three pages or so were total BS and I cut them immediatly, and even after that the beginning is going to need a bit of work to keep it from dragging, but over all it was suprisingly well written. I found myself getting pulled into the story almost as if I hadn't written it, and laughing at a few funny things that I had forgotten I had written. It is refreshing to work on a new project, and I'm excited both for Runaway Train and the NaNo novel which is currently called Finding Innisburg. It seems I do have some writing talent after all and I'm stoked to edit Runaway Train and make the whole thing as great as some of it is already.

So that is my project between now and November.

Also, I officially got Halloween night off of work so that I can begin noveling right at midnight. Although there is a good chance I'll have to work in the morning at like 9 or some other unholy hour. Somewhere behind my eyes my brain is contemplating pulling an all-nighter to novel, attempting to pull ahead of the pack by a few thousand right off the bat, but at 22 I'm not as young as I once was, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment