Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Review: How to Eat a Cupcake

DETAILS: How to Eat a Cupcake, by Meg Donohue.  Copyright 2012. Chick lit (a note on my usage of this term. Some people would say chick lit is dead, and those people would probably classify this book as women's lit.  However, I like the term chick lit, and I feel women's lit is more with older protagonists i.e. over thirty, and maybe with more serious subject matter.  This is simply my opinion and my own personal usage, but the categories I assign books when doing reviews are simply my opinion and not necessarily the way the book has been marketed.)

SUMMERY: When Annie Quintana and her former best friend Julia St. Clair reunite after ten years, they decide to open a cupcake shop together and in doing so, have to overcome some of the tension between them.

PROS: This book was a fun, light read.  The cupcakes Ms. Donohue describe sound delicious and continually made me hungry! I enjoyed the fact that she threw in a little mystery/intrigue in the second half of the book, which is a little unusual in this genre.

CONS: It took me about half the book to really get into it.  I didn't connect with the characters, especially Julia, early on.  They both seemed abrasive and flat.  Ms. Donohue's prose is flooded with adjectives, sometimes adjectives upon adjectives, which sometimes made the narrative feel as if it were written by an amateur. 

BOTTOM LINE: This book was fun, especially the second half.  Three stars out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment