Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Review: Committed

DETAILS: Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert.  Copyright 2010. Memoir.

SUMMARY: In the sequel to Eat, Pray, Love, Ms. Gilbert is "sentenced to marry" after her boyfriend is denied access to the US unless they get hitched.  While waiting for all the paperwork to go through, they travel around the world and Ms. Gilbert goes on her personal quest to understand and come to terms with marriage.

PROS: I loved Eat, Pray, Love and I was not disappointed with this one.  It has the same funny, relatable feel to it and it was still packed with those moments that I love where I thought: "Wow, I know exactly what she means but I have never seen it all spelled out like that."

CONS: I wish she had included a little bit more of her travel experiences and stuff and less history of marriage and things.  In parts it read a bit like a non fiction book about marriage and less like a memoir.

BOTTOM LINE: People who liked Eat, Pray, Love will not be disappointed and anyone who is on the fence about marriage will enjoy this too.  Four stars out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment