Saturday, August 4, 2012

Book Review: Home is a Roof Over a Pig

DETAILS: Home is a Roof Over a Pig: An American Family's Journey in China by Aminta Arrington.  Copyright 2012.  Memoir.

SUMMARY: An American family with three small children, including an adopted daughter from China, move to China to teach English.  This book chronicles their journeys and examines the meanings of family, culture, language and education set against the backdrop of a small town in China.

PROS: I really enjoyed reading this book.  Ms. Arrington's writing is funny at times, poignant at others and always interesting.  She is transparent enough to admit when she has shortcomings, and those shortcomings make her very relatable and human.  Her examinations of the pictographs that make up the Chinese language were very interesting.  I enjoyed her look at the pros and cons of the Chinese education system. 

CONS: The only complaint I had was that I wish she had included some pictures to supplement the story.

BOTTOM LINE: I would recommend this book to anyone interested in foreign cultures or anyone with an adopted child.  Five stars out of five.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Anna,

    Thank you for the lovely review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book.

    By the way, there's a photo album section on my website, amintaarrington.com.

    Aminta

    ReplyDelete